Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Just the other day I got my newest copy of Model Railroader, the May 2010 edition. I have to say that they really came through this month with the featured railroad. I usually get frustrated with the huge dream layouts that they often publish. At least for myself its frustrating to see a great idea for a railroad only to find out that in order to achieve such realism you would have to have an available 1200 plus square feet to do it in. This layout has an unbelievable amount of operational capabilities. It really gives those of us with a smaller amount of space a glimpse of the fact that realistic operations is something that can happen on any size model railroad. If you are interested in operations at all, then be sure to check it out. Even if you are one of those fortunate few that has the space to create a large walk-in style layout, the article still contains a good overall view of a great operational plan.

At the current time my available space is 22x4. I have these absurd 22" radius curves to accommodate some of the larger locomotives. Although I have to tell you that the recommended radius for my Pennsy J1 is 22" and that is not a great estimate by the manufacturer. It will make it but not very long before one of the many drivers derails. It also looks ridiculous with the way that it leans because of the tight radius. So plans are starting to take effect for a possible change in my current loop to loop track plan. This will create more room for industry sidings, run-arounds, and other operational opportunities. The current track plan had the potential viewer or visitor in mind, but since over the past year that has only been a hand full of folks it's time for some changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment